Acknowledgements

A blog made with pictures, broken English and my vague "castellano" language.

Thanks Brian Hua for pushing me to make this blog. Work hard Brian...

This little mountain (about 10.000 Ha, 25.000 acres) call Sierra de Carrascoy, is where I grew up. How can you place the mountain in the world, HERE. My father used to work in a big farm on this mountain, so I had the chance to explore what was going on in these hillsides.


Este blog lo actualizo según la vida (trabajo, familia, etc...) me va dejando tiempo, por tanto irregularmente.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

MATCH POINT

(Spanish) Cuando te subes a una montaña y miras, ves campos de cultivo y ciudades. En las faldas de la Sierra de Carrascoy, como en las faldas de muchas de las montañas de la Region de Murcia, se extienden los campos de cultivo.

La primera fotografía, en la umbría de la Sierra de Carrascoy, es una explotacion de citricos, muy posiblemente de la empresa "Fruca". Tambien se ve el enorme cabezal de riego y abonado. La segunda fotografía, una Perdiz roja sobre una linde en una finca de Almendros.

Cuando miro estas fotografías me vienen a la cabeza un monton de preguntas. Y es que hasta ahora tengo dificultades para encontrar el equilibrio entre profesión y pasión. Creo que si logro poner mi grano de ciencia en la Agricultura Ecológica o como se quiera llamar, me podría dar por satisfecho.

(Broken english) Here two pictures, (i) the hillsides of the Sierra de Carrascoy with lemon trees and more lemon trees and (ii) a Partridge over a hillock in a farm of almonds trees.

In other words "More of the same" approach (upper photo), I mean, produce food no matter what it cost, and "Bird friendly" approach (lower photo), I mean, produce food without destroy biodiversity.

A lot of questions came to my mind every time I climb the sierra and stare at the hillsides. We have changed all the landscape!!! Yes, we need food and a place to live, but are we being selfsih? I am agronomist but first a wildlife lovers, and I still do not see how to meet my work with my passion. I would be more than happy if I am able to do my small part to help build up science and make agriculture less harmful to the enviroment but at the same time feasible for all people, growers and consumers.


Finca de cítricos en la Umbría de la Sierra de Carrascoy, témino municipal de Alhama de Murcia, paraja del Cañarico - Lemon trees and more lemon trees in Alhama de Murcia, El Cañarico.



Perdiz roja en una linde de una finca de Almendros, pedanía de la Costera - Partridge standing on a hillock in a Almonds tree farm.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment